Dance and Music
am or have been active in the following:-
- Traditional Dance
- Silhill Morris
I am one of the musicians for this Border Morris side.
- Chiltern Hundreds Northwest Clog Morris
I joined this side in 2020 to enable me to continue playing for North West Clog Morris.
The Chiltern Hundreds are an ancient region of Buckinghamshire, including the Chiltern Hills.
- Chinewrde Morris
I played for this Kenilworth, Warwickshire-based North-West Clog side from 1999 until 2014.
Before you ask, Chinewrde is the old Saxon name for Kenilworth, and this is more evident when
pronounced in Saxon than in modern English.
- Nancy Butterfly Morris
I used to play for this group of North West clog morris dancers, from the late 1980s.
The question everyone asks is "Where did the name come from?".
The answer is that the house of Nancy Butterfly is marked on old maps of Redditch, and was a renowned brothel.
This information is totally unrelated to the fact that I met my wife at Nancy Butterfly!
- Jenny Geddes Clog Morris (now defunct)
"JG plays for JG"
Whilst working in Edinburgh I played for this North West side
named after the woman who threw a stool at the Dean in 1637 in St Giles' Cathedral in opposition
to the imposition of a new liturgy written by Archbishop Laud. She cried "De'il colic the wame
o'thee" - wouldst thou say Mass at ma lug?".
This caused a riot!
I played for Mallemarokers (a Ceilidh Band) throughout their existence; a 12 piece Ceilidh band whose apex was closing
the Late Night Extra on the final night of the Sidmouth International Festival.
I used to play occasionally for a group of Coventry based Step Cloggers who perform
local displays of English Step Dance - Hornpipes, Reels, Waltzes
etc from Lakeland (Westmoreland), Sunderland, Lancashire, Durham
and the like.
I used to dance with an Appalachian Step Dance group (One Step
Beyond) for a number of years, giving it up back in Sept '95.
The less said about one of them, the better!
- Music Sessions English, French and Scandinavian music (never, ever, manic diddley-diddley music !!)
- I am a regular musician at weekly sessions at Fradley Junction, Staffs
- I am a regular musician at a monthly session at Blithbury, Staffs
- I am a regular musician at a bi-monthly session at Moseley, Birmingham, West Mids
- I am a regular musician at a monthly session at Kenilworth, Warks
- I often attend a monthly session at Temple Grafton, Warks
- I sometimes attend a monthly session at Handsacre with Armitage, Staffs
- I am sometimes found in a weekly session at Burton upon Trent, Staffs